I spent a while gathering ideas for Easter dinner dessert and was originally thinking cute lil’ bunny themed cupcakes. But after seeing countless recipes for carrot cake I decided to go for it even though I’ve never made one before. I paired it with the delicious cream cheese frosting I made in an earlier post, but added less powdered sugar so it had more of a cream cheese taste! It was a big hit, everyone loved it, my mum especially took a liking to the cream cheese frosting 😛
You can either bake this in two standard cake tins and layer your cake, or just use a glass pie dish and invert your cake onto your serving platter like I did.
With a few adjustments this was easily made into a much healthier version of the original.
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting and toasted almonds
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 – 1 cup toasted almond slices
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 white sugar
- 3/4 cup apple sauce 1/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven. Grease a 9x13x2 pie pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Toast the almonds for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and they smell delicious. Let cool.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- With hand mixer beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light coloured (about 3-4 mins). Add apple sauce and oil in a thin steady stream, and then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots.
- Fill pie pan until 3/4 of the way full and bake in preheated oven for around 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- After completely cooled invert cake onto serving platter and frost with cream cheese frosting. Press toasted almonds around sides of cake, or chop and sprinkle over entire cake. Refrigerate any leftovers!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- one 8 oz. bar cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest OR extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, measure then sifted
- With the mixer on a low speed, beat the cream cheese and butter till blended.
- Mix in vanilla and lemon extract.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar a cup at a time.
- Once all the powdered sugar is added, increase to a higher speed to whip up the frosting till light and fluffy.